Summer Reading Challenge
- Participants should be regular attendees at either the FSSP community in the Sydney Archdiocese or in the Parramatta Diocese, or attend the Holy Family Catechism at Prospect or Lewisham.
- You must read (at least) 8 books cover-to-cover within the specified dates. One full book must be at least 120 pages. A book of 400 pages or more will count as two books. Audio books are permitted.
- The competition will commence on December 5, 2021, and will end on January 31, 2022.
- Please register by emailing Fr Gilbride: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once registered, Fr Gilbride will send you a private link to an online Spreadsheet where you can write in the title of your completed books. Each week we may publish a weekly leaderboard in the parish bulletin and on our website.
- What books are suitable? The key principle is the following: this challenge is meant to promote growth in the faith, culture, and Christian virtue. Acceptable books include good Catholic-themed books from sound publishers (e.g. faith formation, philosophy, Church history, contemporary issues, Church Fathers, spiritual, biographies etc.) or classic works of literature (e.g. Tolkien, Dickens, Austen), or any other books that encourage virtue, even if not specifically Catholic e.g. inspirational biographies. It is not necessary to ask for approval for every book, but if in doubt ask Fr Gilbride.
- Recommended book publishers include: TAN Books, Loreto Press, Angelico Press, Ignatius Press, Emmaus Press, Sophia Institute, Catholic Answers. Any books from these publishers, from a canonised saint, a Church Father, or a book with an imprimatur automatically are permitted for the competition.
- The prize for anyone who completes the 8-book challenge will be a $30 voucher. An additional prize will be offered for whoever reads the greatest number of books ($150 voucher), and a second prize for the second greatest number of books ($100 voucher).
- Your participation in this challenge should not be an occasion for you to neglect more important duties e.g. work, study or chores.
- Suggested online shops where you can buy new books:
- Rules are subject to change at the discretion of Fr Gilbride.
Parramatta Latin Mass Chaplaincy
Served by the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter